The primary objectives of the new Buddy Model are:
- To provide emotional and practical support to alleviate loneliness & social isolation over a 12 week period.
- To adopt a non-judgemental and supportive approach to understand the needs and concerns of people living with cancer.
- To signpost to additional support if required and raise any further concerns with the Macmillan team.
- To ensure that the needs of people living with cancer are priority & their needs are accurately assessed.
Community Buddies will provide emotional & practical support for up to 2 hours weekly at home or in the community over a 12 week period. The time allocation is simply a guide as a lot will depend upon the requested task or type of support the volunteer is delivering.
In and Around Home
- Preparing light refreshments
- Putting away shopping
- Light gardening
- Collecing small shopping items from local shops
- Accompanying service user to a garden centre, coffee shop etc..
- Accompanying service user to a meeting or attending a self-help and support group with them related to their cancer as part of transition/progression
Telephone Buddies will provide a weekly telephone call (up to 1 hour duration) for 12 weeks (please note it is currently 8 weeks but we will transition to 12 weeks as we transition to the new model). For people living with cancer emotional support is often what they need most. This need can be met very easily via a telephone call as they can “safely” shield at home & alleviate risks from face-to-face contact
Digital Buddies will provide support by video call over a 12 week period (Microsoft Teams). This is a combination of support of face-to-face (via Teams) and telephone support for those people living with cancer who may require this particular type of help. This service will commence soon (date tbc). Service users who are hard of hearing and use lip reading or BSL may particularly benefit from this activity. Digital Buddies will start in the summer of 2022.
(Please note you must be 18+ to register for these roles).